Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    N/A
    Last Active
    10th September 2016

Which Chemo to take

Hi
    My dad is diagnosed with stage IV non-small cell lung cancer over 12 months ago. cancer was in his left lung at first

He has undergone chemotherapy for his first lots of treatments he had Gemcitabine and Carboplatin (combination) After the first round of these treatments it actually shrunk the cancer. but doctor dosn't want to do this treatment again. I don't know why

He then put dad on a break. After 8weeks they did a scan and the cancer started to grow again.
    Then his second lots of chemo treatments he had was Pemepemetrexed (with this treatment it was stable) but had to have regular blood transfusions.

Then again was put on a break.. the cancer has now grown larger and with more modules..
    Then they commenced Nivolumab trial drug.....Dad had phnemonia from it and was hospitalised. when he came out they did another treatement of nivolumab and now said they have to stop

The cancer has grown and now is in both lungs. so they said if they did nothing it will definately spread.

so the options given is to whether to go back to the first chemo durg Gemcitabine and Carboplatin which is not what they normally would do. or to chemo drug Docetaxel which is what the norm is after nivo.
    They said if he goes back to the first drugs he was given then it will cause an alergic reaction. so confused

had anyone been returned to a previous chemo drug they were given after a period

Location of employment
    Lung Foundation Australia
    State
    QLD
    Last Active
    22nd February 2017
    Hi Rita,
    The last 12 months of your dads diagnosis has sounded extremely difficult physically and emotionally.
    Unfortunately despite trying three different regimes your dad has either not responded to or developed complications during or post treatments.
    I would strongly encourage that you and dad create an opportunity to meet with your treating doctor and if you have access a Lung Cancer Care Coordinator within your treating center to understand firstly dads diagnosis in relation to the treatments offered over the past 12 months and what forms of treatments and importantly supportive care is on offer for dad and how this may look for the future.
    Establishing a good relationship with your treating team and maintaining clear communication is essential in helping you move forward and lessen your anxiety.
    Please do not hesitate calling me to discuss further on the free call number 1800654301
    I wish you and your dad the very best.
    In support
    Claire Mulvihill
    Lung cancer support nurs
    e

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    N/A
    Last Active
    1st December 2016

hi Claire

I just got back from the hospital and have been ok'd for radiology. The chemo side is complicated because I have been also diagnosed with hepatitis C. the chemo dr is concerned that i will have liver damage or failure. I cant take a break. if i have just radiology there is a 70% chance of controlling the cancer if i have both chemo and the radiology there is a 100% chance of the cancer being gone. I now have to make the decision of the chemo or just radiology.
    I am confused and scared. HAs anyone else had this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Louise View Post
    Hi Rita,
    The last 12 months of your dads diagnosis has sounded extremely difficult physically and emotionally.
    Unfortunately despite trying three different regimes your dad has either not responded to or developed complications during or post treatments.
    I would strongly encourage that you and dad create an opportunity to meet with your treating doctor and if you have access a Lung Cancer Care Coordinator within your treating center to understand firstly dads diagnosis in relation to the treatments offered over the past 12 months and what forms of treatments and importantly supportive care is on offer for dad and how this may look for the future.
    Establishing a good relationship with your treating team and maintaining clear communication is essential in helping you move forward and lessen your anxiety.
    Please do not hesitate calling me to discuss further on the free call number 1800654301
    I wish you and your dad the very best.
    In support
    Claire Mulvihill
    Lung cancer support nurs
    e

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    N/A
    Last Active
    31st January 2017
    Hi,

How many infusions (how many times did he go to the hospital to have the chemo done?) of Gemtacbine and Carboplatin did your dad receive before your oncologist decided to stop it?
    You have the right to question the oncologist why the oncologist stopped the treatment that seemed to be working.