Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    N/A
    Last Active
    31st January 2017

Liquid Biopsy and Foundation One Testing

Hi,

We are so behind the rest of US and some countries in Europe in terms of diagnostics and treatments.

I am wondering if the Australian oncologists will make it easier to build a bridge between patients and organisations such as Foundation One and companies that perform liquid biopsy testing such as Guardant, Biocept, Trovagen etc.

These organisations offer comprehensive testing of mutations that may not yet have approved treatments in Australia. THe benefit of doing these tests is that we can check which clinical trials to join in cases where the STANDARD treatments fail.

I have taken this up with our lung cancer coordinator but I was disappointed because we had to do it ourselves if we want to do these tests. It's hard to do these ourselves we need things to be made easier as patients and caregivers.

These tests are already being regularly used as an adjunct to standard of care in the US. Out of pocket costs may be involved but it's okay as long as it will widen our options.

I am wondering if there is anyone who can help me with this other than saying get a referral etc etc.

Location of employment
    Lung Foundation Australia
    State
    QLD
    Last Active
    11th April 2017
    Hi, you have raised a very valid point in accessing liquid biopsies within Australia.
    As this is an evolving are in cancer care l will seek expert input from a Pathologist and Medical Oncologist. In the following days
    I will post a response that may assist you and many others in this area.
    Thank you for asking the question.
    Kindest Regards
    Claire Mulvihill
    Lung Cancer support nurse
    Lung Foundation Australia

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    N/A
    Last Active
    31st January 2017
    Hi Claire,

Thank you for your response. I will be interested to get in touch with that person if you happen to find one. I am just met with a NO NO NO-Not our job response but in a civilised way. It is so frustrating.