Thread: Hello

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    QLD
    Last Active
    14th October 2017

Hello

Hello, my name is Tania. I am one of the volunteer moderators on this new breathing space forum. I am happy to be a part of this forum and look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you in this online community. I am interested in reading any hints and tips on what people do to alleviate their symptoms. What people do or have done when they are housebound and what support they have and how this helps them.
    My mother has end stage COPD, when she is having trouble breathing she meditates by sitting in her lounge and focus on breathing and bring it under control. She experiences pain with her COPD, when the pain gets more intense she will turn up her oxygen and use the inhalers. Her new Dr has an interest in chronic pain and the new pain medication has made a huge difference. For fun mum has her iPad and has recently joined up with Facebook. She also enjoys reading, doing some craft, watching movies and tv episodes. Mum is learning how to use the iPad, websites and forums and I look forward to her joining this site as well.

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    NSW
    Last Active
    17th July 2017
    Hi Tania, I am Mary. I have COPD. I like to garden but it can sometimes make my COPD worse and I have arthritis so I have to have a man come to help in my garden now but I sitll like to sit down outside if the weather is good and look at all my plants and flowers. But I can't do this much in springtime because the pollen makes it harder to breathe, althoough I can still see the flowers from my window and sometimes I wqear one of the masks my GP gives me if I want to visit other gardens.

I still enjoy my life and exercise when I can even though it's a bit harder now. I use inhalers at the moment and just be careful of where I go and what I do, but that is okay because I like to be alone. I don't have much family nearby to me but live witrh my best firend so she helps me. We are both very quiet and don't annoy each other much. I have a daughter in QLD and see her and my grandkids on school holidays they come to visit me.

I am still learning the computer but I can do this and check nmy emails not very good on the key board.

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    QLD
    Last Active
    14th October 2017
    Hi Mary, it was lovely to log in and see your message. What sort of plants and flowers do you have? The plants must bring some lovely butterflies and birds to visit. Your grandchildren must enjoy their holidays when they get to come and visit you. You are doing great on the computer, I am glad you found this forum.

Moderator Penelope Scheenhouwer's Avatar
    Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    Qld
    Last Active
    7th November 2017
    Hi Mary and Tania, my name is Penelope and like Tania I too am a volunteer moderator on this forum. I have stage 1 COPD. Mary it's great to have you join us here on the forum and build new online friendships and support and Tania I look forward to meeting your mum when she joins. I am doing quite well at this early stage with my COPD but also have Lupus so that sometimes throws a spanner in the works. I love to walk and be out in the fresh air and finds this supports me greatly with my lungs. I live by the water here in Queensland so it's easy to walk the extensive pathways that wind around the foreshore. I look forward to meeting others here and getting to know you both more.

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    NSW
    Last Active
    17th July 2017
    Hi Tania and Peneleope. I am sorry to hear about your lupus Penny but good to see you still getting ourt and enmjoying life. Hope youyr mum joins us Tania if I can do it she can I never used computers much in my life stayed at home and didnt get to use the cimputer much looking after my daughter.

I ahve an English style garden with roses, ivies, deciduous trees. Some lavenders and grasses, I guess you would call it a cottage style garden. I have nice big fox gloves. I had a small veggie garden but it is too difficult to look after now so I have to get my veggies delivered with my food. My best firend is better on the computer than I am so we order our food now through online and they bring it to us very good technology makes life easier.

Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    QLD
    Last Active
    14th October 2017
    Hello to you both, I have enjoyed reading both of your posts.

Penelope, I am sorry to hear about your lupus os top of your COPD. It's great that you get to go for walks and to enjoy the beautiful outdoors. I also live in sunny QLD, I am up in FNQ where it is warm most of the year.

Mary your computer skills are great. I find I still have problems navigating around these websites, but get there in the end. Your garden sounds beautiful.

I will let mum know she has 2 new friends awaiting to meet her on here.

I hope you both have enjoyed the last 2 weeks since you last posted and the weather hasn't been too cold for you. I look forward to reading your next posts.

Location of employment
    retired
    State
    NQLD
    Last Active
    19th September 2017

Hello

My name is Cynthia (aged 70)
    I have asthma, COPD, ABPA (Bronchiectasis), .....and XYZ
    I would love to hear how it is for others with these conditions. I was diagnosed with the COPD in 2004 but the last year has been a bit of a slippery slope.
    This is the 3rd time I have tried to introduce myself today so here's hoping.
    Regards

Moderator Penelope Scheenhouwer's Avatar
    Location of employment
    N/A
    State
    Qld
    Last Active
    7th November 2017
    Hi Cynthia,

Welcome and lovely to meet you. It seems your post started another thread so I have moved it here to join all the others saying hi. My name is Penelope and if you look further down this page you will see my introduction and a little about myself. I was diagnosed with COPD in January 2015. Fortunately it is very early stage so I am still reasonably well. I hope you enjoy looking around the forum and getting to know others. Don't be afraid to ask for help with the forums as there are moderators like myself who can support. Regards, Penelope

Location of employment
    Retired
    State
    South East Queensland
    Last Active
    9th November 2017
    G'day Cynthia, nice to hear from you. I was beginning to think I was the only bronchiectasis/asthma sufferer. Sorry to see you have been on a slippery slope this year. It must be the weather as I have had a few problems this year that haven't occurred in previous years. I am fortunate to have been assessed at about Level 1.

I have found that continuing efforts to ensure good lung hygiene is helping a lot. I am looking forward to my 81st next April and still walking my 5 kms most mornings. Fresh air and sunshine at 5:30am before the bulk of the traffic hits the roads is what suits me.

Enjoy the forums